Hidalgo County Texas
Go To Search

Hidalgo County Courthouse
100 N. Closner
Edinburg, Texas 78539
Marriage Licenses
Marriage License-Maroon_0001.jpg
New choice of Marriage Certificate in Burgundy

Marriage Licenses Department

County Clerks issue all marriage licenses in the State of Texas. (In counties in which branch officers or county officers are authorized by statute, the county clerk or a duly authorized deputy county clerk may issue marriage licenses from the branch office.) 

To save time, you may begin the process by filling out the ONLINE MARRIAGE APPLICATION

Applicants must appear in person to sign documents in order to complete the process after you have filled out the ONLINE MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION.

Procedures for issuing licenses are:
  1. Prepare the application for a marriage license on a form that is identical in format and content to that adopted by the Texas Board of Health.
  2. Issue the marriage license.
  3. Mail the copies of the applications to the Bureau of Vital Statistics on the first day of each month.
  4. Record and index the marriage license before returning it to the married couple.

Hidalgo County Marriage License Requirements:
  • There is a 72 hour waiting period immediately following the date the license is issued.
  • The marriage license expires 90 days after the issuing of the marriage license.
  • Both applicants need to be present
  • Blood tests are not required

Marriage License-Blue_0001.jpg
New choice of Marriage Certificate in Blue
One of the following documents is required for proof of identification and age:
  • Birth certificate (From any country)
  • Drivers License with birth and expiration dates
  • State ID from any state (Government Issued Only)
  • Voter's registration card
  • Military ID
  • Passport (From any country)
  • Certificate of citizenship
  • Certificate of naturalization
  • Resident alien card
  • Border crossing card
  • Social Security card

Please Note: All documents must be the original document or a certified copy of the original document; we will not accept expired documents. 

Affidavit of Absent Application With Instructions 
Application / Instructions

Minor Applicants (16 years of age or older but under 18)
Minors must have an original or certified copy of their birth certificate that includes the parent(s) name(s). We do not accept hospital records. Parents must be present to sign a parental consent form. In cases of divorced parents, the parent with legal custody of the minor is required to sign the parental consent form and is also required to bring the final divorce decree signed by the Judge. Court appointed legal guardians must present the court order signed by a Judge. Parents are required to present proper identification.

Divorced Participants
There is a 30 day waiting period immediately following the date the Judge signs the divorce decree. If the Judge has waived the 30 day waiting period, the court order must be presented at the time of applying for the marriage license on the 31st day after a divorce. Former spouses may marry each other at any time.

Please download, read, and fill out the appropriate forms in order to obtain a Marriage License at our office. These forms are also available in our office, should you prefer to fill out your application when visiting the County Clerk’s Office.