Welcome to the Hidalgo County Environmental Compliance Division
Announcements (June 2013)
- Hidalgo County is experiencing extreme and exceptional drought, the highest levels of drought severity. Water conservation efforts are strongly encouraged during this time. Residents are strongly recommended to follow any water restrictions in their area. Please visit HC Environmental Topics for a list of water restrictions in Hidalgo County.
You can make a pledge to conserve water. Here are some simple ways you can cut back on the amount of water you use.
Tips for Conserving Water
- Follow your local community's water restrictions
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth
- Turn off the water while washing dishes by hand
- Fix leaking toilets
- Fix leaking indoor and outdoor faucets
- If toilet flappers do not close, replace them
- Tell businesses about any leaking toilets and faucets
- Wash your car at an automatic car wash that recycles water
- Turn off the water while you soap during showers
- Don't waste water from refills at restaurants
- Position sprinklers so that water does not spray on the street
- Water lawns and plants after the sun sets
- Collect rain water and reuse the water for chores, plants, washing, etc.
- Install a pool cover to reduce evaporation
- Run the dishwasher only with full loads
- If you have a new dishwasher, cut back on rinsing.
- Consider upgrading old refrigerators, dish washers, clothes washers, and showerheads
- Turn the water off when you lather your hands with soap
- Use the water you are replacing from aquariums for plants
- Don't use running water to thaw foods. Defrost food with the refrigerator
- Adjust water heaters so less water is wasted while waiting for heated water
- SUPPORT PROJECTS THAT USE RECLAIMED WATER